Willingale, Churches of St. Andrew and St. Christopher, Photos

38 images Created 13 Jun 2021

Pictures from the Essex village of Willingale, and the adjacent Anglican Churches of St. Andrew and St. Christopher.

The central part of the village of Willingale in Essex is concentrated around two churches (St. Andrew’s Church and St. Christopher’s Church). The presence of two churches within one churchyard is somewhat unusual and a notable characteristic of the village.

St. Christopher’s church dates to around 1360 AD. Its current structure has undergone improvements by successive generations from the 14th century onwards. Most recently work has included the restoration and augmentation of bells and repairs to exterior masonry and roofs.

St. Andrew’s was constructed before 1130 AD and is a redundant Anglican church. It is a grade II listed building and is under conservation by the Churches Conservation Trust.
View: 100 | All